Thursday, April 17, 2014

Facing the Daily Trials...

There are so many days when I wish I could just pray and God would remove me from the situation I was in. I would like to avoid that conflict with my husband or friend. I would like to avoid the pile of laundry that has piled up in several rooms of my house. I would like to avoid cooking dinner while my children are arguing, crying, and having accidents (of various kinds). I know that it is always within Gods power to remove these things from me. But, I also know that it is these things that He uses to sharpen me and help me to put my trust in Him completely.

Sometimes my relationship with God is like hot bathwater...you know when the water is really hot and you just keep dipping your toes in, but can't fully commit to sitting completely in the water.  I know I need to take a bath but the water is just too hot!! I know that I need to be in God's word and trusting Him completely with my daily situations as a wife, mom and just as a woman. It is too easy for me to dip my toes in with God.  To trust Him with most things and just try to handle the "other" things on my own.

Today my mom challenge was this:
"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
-John 15:4

This is such a powerful reminder.  Apart from God we can do NOTHING! I read a great lesson plan idea that presented children with an understanding of this verse by showing them both raisins and grapes. Explaining of course that when we try to bear fruit of any kind without the vine we become as shriveled as the raisin. This week I have been meditating on Psalm 25. And while reading this passage of scripture the Lord has revealed to me many areas of my own life where "when I don't know what to do," I am leaning on my own understanding and not leaning on and trusting God. When the bible clearly says in many places and in many different ways...

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make strait your paths. Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and turn away from evil." 
-Proverbs 3:5-7

The reality is that we can not escape the hardships in life.  There are hardships of many kinds that we will and must face.  God tells us again in scripture, "I have said these things to you, that you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33 I am reminded that my trials and tribulations should not surprise me when they show themselves in my life. In fact, every day I need to prepare for the trials of that day. Preparing my heart to face the day and asking God to help me look to Him.  I should be putting on the full armor of God and trusting Him completely. Trusting means...letting go! That is a hard one for me.

I was really encouraged by a faithful friend this week who sent me a simple text message. It said in part," This is a tough season you are in. But, God is faithful to His children! He can be trusted. I KNOW He can be trusted. I just have to LIVE it." We do have to live it. But, by His grace and in His perfect love for each of us, He has made it so that we do not have to live it alone! That is what I am thankful for this week as we are celebrating Jesus! He didn't leave me alone...He is with me! And by nothing I did...He saved me knowing I was full of sin and made me clean! PRAISE JESUS!

No comments :

Post a Comment