Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Fruit of the Spirit: A Word of Help

I consider myself very blessed to be married to a man who loves the Lord and is the strong spiritual leader of our family. Matt and I (like many married couples) don't often have our bad days at the same time.  This is a blessing because on the days when I seem to be falling apart he is there to offer me scripture and encouragement to lift me up.  
The last couple of days have been difficult in our house.  I have three young children (ages 4, 3, and 1) and am eight months pregnant with our fourth.  
On this particular morning I could tell my oldest was battling some heart issues and my younger two were battling a bad cold.  I was tired and already feeling the weight of a very long day ahead of me...immediately allowing myself to become crabby and discouraged.  I woke up this morning and found a note of encouragement left on the counter by my husband.   The Lord used Him this morning to fill my heart with just the Words I needed to hear.  
I posted this note and scripture on my refrigerator to remind me of my primary goal everyday and that is to lead my children in love, to serve them, and to do so with love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.


Jesus is primarily an all-loving servant who lays down His life for His sheep…

He is secondarily a disciplinarian to His sheep because He always disciplines as a loving shepherd. (John 10 and Hebrews 12:6)

Fruits of the Spirit
Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control
Not fruits of the Spirit

Anger, frustration, impatience, harshness, environment-control

So often, we put the blame of a bad day on those around us...even our small children. When in fact, we are the ones who are losing the spiritual battle.  I was instantly convicted by my impatience, frustration, and harshness toward the kids that I realized the battle going on in my heart was the root of the problem. By God's grace, He has given me the power through the Holy Spirit to overcome the sin that often weighs down on my heart. 

2 Peter 1:2-8
" His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire..."



No comments :

Post a Comment